FORMER BARCLAY'S BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253066

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: FORMER BARCLAY'S BANK, 239, LEWISHAM WAY

Statutory Address: FORMER BARCLAY'S BANK, FRIENDLY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER BARCLAY'S BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:58:27.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER BARCLAY'S BANK, 239, LEWISHAM WAY

Statutory Address: FORMER BARCLAY'S BANK, FRIENDLY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 37083 76382

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:- LEWISHAM WAY TQ3776 (east side) 8/10020 No 239 Former Barclay's Bank

GV II

Includes: Former Barclay's Bank FRIENDLY STREET.

Former bank premises, now converted to flats; designed in 1885 and built in about 1886 by J and J S Edmeston for the London and South West Bank Ltd. Red brick and buff terracotta in a baronial style, a rectangular comer building of two narrow bays to front and three and half bays to side, three storeys and attic. Ground-floor entirely clad in buff terracotta with projecting base, falling with slope of Friendly Street to side. Pilaster strips ascend to first floor, where form arcade with voussoirs set into a plain band in the manner of a Gibbs surround. Broad sill band under second floor, from which sprout bartizans. Heavily-modelled modillion cornice below parapet, gable and dormers. Single gable to Lewisham Way with pair of dormers to Friendly Street, all with inverted volutes and much ornamentation in the Serlian manner. Smaller dormer behind parapet with hipped slate roof and iron cresting. Terracotta copings to gables and dormers, whilst the bartizans are finished with terracotta spirelets. All windows are casements with mullions and transoms set in terracotta architrave surrounds with banded decoration. Projecting terracotta porch with ornamented pediment, and frieze bearing epitet 'BANK', supported on extended openwork consoles. Second floor has 'BANK BUILDINGS' inscribed into cut-brick cartouche. Area railings to Friendly Street. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: TQ3708376382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436197

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing