MOUNT PLEASANT COMMUNITY CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253100
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1994
Statutory Address:
MOUNT PLEASANT COMMUNITY CENTRE, MOUNT PLEASANT

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOUNT PLEASANT COMMUNITY CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253100.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 17:39:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOUNT PLEASANT COMMUNITY CENTRE, MOUNT PLEASANT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bradford-on-Avon
National Grid Reference:
ST 82801 61337

Details

BRADFORD ON AVON ST8260 MOUNT PLEASANT 875- /1/10008 (North side) Mount Pleasant Community Centre

GV II Primary school, now community centre. 1847, extension dated 1911, closed c1980. Squared, coursed limestone, square diagonally-set ridge stacks in pairs, and stone slate roof. Single-depth H-shaped 3-room plan. Tudor Domestic Revival style. Single storey; 8-window range. Symmetrical front and rear have projecting outer gables and short projecting end gable extensions, with weathered angle buttresses and a central buttress, kneelers to roll-top gable copings and ridges, cruciform finials, leaded vent bases to the ridges, and a weathered bellcote to the left-hand 1847 gable. Flat-headed mullion and transom windows with trefoil heads and labels, rear has paired 2-light windows to the gables with small attic lights, the central section has outer 4-centre arched doorways with ridge and batten doors, and 2-light inner windows beneath 2-light dormers with shouldered gables. Similar front without doorways or dormers, and gables each have a large 4-light window. 1911 extensions each end in matching style have doorways to the front with sunken spandrels and 2-light windows in the end gables. Interior: Former classrooms at either end have a 5-bay arch-braced collar beam roof on moulded corbels, ceiled above the corbels in the right-hand room, and a winder stair in the rear central room. Fireplaces removed. Historical note: Probably a National school, given the proximity to the church, with the headmaster's house (qv) for which grants were available from 1843. The division of the space allowed the separation of infants. A reasonably complete early example of a village school with group value with the church and headmaster's house (qqv).



Listing NGR: ST8275361283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436229
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13255/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Witherow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].