TERRACES BALUSTRADES AND STEPS TO SOUTH AND EAST OF BOWOOD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253102

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: TERRACES BALUSTRADES AND STEPS TO SOUTH AND EAST OF BOWOOD HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACES BALUSTRADES AND STEPS TO SOUTH AND EAST OF BOWOOD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253102 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 20:07:13.

Location

Statutory Address: TERRACES BALUSTRADES AND STEPS TO SOUTH AND EAST OF BOWOOD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calne Without

National Grid Reference: ST 97488 69911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 96 NE CALNE WITHOUT BOWOOD

5/13 Terraces, balustrades and steps to south and east of Bowood House

GV II

Terraces, balustrades and steps, 1817-18 by Sir R. Smirke, 1851-3 by G. Kennedy, c1865 and with some remodelling after 1955 on site of demolished main house. Ashlar. South front Upper Terrace by Smirke has Jacobean style pierced roundels to balustrades, piers with stone vases and centre steps flanked by eroded pair of reliefs by W. Theed c1860 and two bronze stags marked M. Geiss, Berlin. Retaining wall and similar balustrade extend along west end of Lower Terrace, by Kennedy, to an ornate ashlar Italianate pavilion. Lower Terrace has horseshoe steps up at west end flanking lion-mask fountain, the top parapet now carrying stone nude by D. Wynne 1978. East end has rounded stone seat. Dwarf walls in gardens have 4 stone lions formerly on gatepiers to main house. Long south balustrade with turned balusters and central steps down. Terrace east of the house, c1865, has similar Jacobean style balustrading on retaining wall and also along east side of lower garden. (Country Life, 22.6.1972)

Listing NGR: ST9748869911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436232

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 June, (1972)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 29 Norfolk,

End of official listing