Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2021 at 18:52:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Islington (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31918 83844


TQ 3183 NE ESSEX ROAD (east side) 635-1/59/10061 no. 70


House with shop. Shown on map of 1746, refronted in early C 19. Stock brick, 'M'-shaped tiled roof Plan may originally have included shop, for there is an entrance at side of house, now blocked under arched opening. Present entrance is in single-storey C19 addition. Two rooms per floor, with large staircase hall at rear of house. Four storeys. Main elevation of three bays, with some rebuilding above third floor and to parapets, with mid-C19 sashes under early C19 gauged brick heads and late C20 shopfront in replica style. Pear elevation with some patching following bomb damage. The interior is the building's chief interest. The staircase rises complete from ground floor to attic, a closed string with stick balusters whose newels and handrail have characteristic early C18 mouldings. Dado panelling - small panels but without any mouldings - to outside walls, fully panelled internal wall similarly undecorated. The ground floor unpanelled, any cornices hidden behind false ceiling, and the first floor with early C19 cornices and shutters to three-bay front room. The second floor has full dado panelling to front room, with one Cl 8 cupboard with hooks, the rear room with some full-height panelling. The third floor has some panelling, and early Cl8 fireplace in front room set between cupboards. Included as a rare example of an unsophisticated panelled interior. Source: Jean Rocque, 'Ten Miles around London', map of 1746.

Listing NGR: TQ3191883844


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Rocque, J, Ten Miles Around London


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15470/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].