BOUNDARY STONE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253113
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY STONE, THE DOWNS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY STONE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253113.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 04:39:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY STONE, THE DOWNS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Trafford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 76379 87408

Details

SJ 79 NE ALTRINCHAM THE DOWNS

7/80 Boundary stone II

Boundary stone. Circa 1840. Inscribed stone indicating the ancient boundary of the Anglo-Saxon Borough of Altrincham. A large carved stone set flush in a coursed rubble street boundary wall, the base of the stone now below pavement level. A simple moulding to sides and top and to two slightly pointed arched panels on the lower half of the stone. In the spandrel in the centre an emblem (arrowhead?) in relief below TOWNSHIPS incised in a curve. In the left hand arched panel ALTRINCHAM and in the right hand panel DUNHAM incised. The MASSEY Altrincham Court Leet, chartered in 1290, use the boundary stone as the start of the annual procession to belt the boundaries of the borough.

Listing NGR: SJ7637987408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436247
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01795/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barrie S. Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].