This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

METHODIST CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: METHODIST CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1253117

Location

METHODIST CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Eckington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436253

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 47 NW 1264-/7/10006

ECKINGTON HIGH STREET(north side)Methodist Chapel

GII Non-conformist(United Methodist)church.Dated 1875,with Late C20 alterations.Regularly-coursed squared Coal Measures sandstone with ashlar dressings,coped gables and a Welsh slated roof.Two storeys over a basement five bays,rectangular on plan,the basement used for the Sunday school.South elevation;broad gabled front with apex detailed as a pediment.Flight of steps to entrance flanked by cast-iron spear headed railings on low ashlar walls.Entrance defined by pilasters supporting plain entablature.Frieze carries inscription'U.M.FREE CHURCH A.D.1875'.Wide semi-circular arched double doorway with panelled doors below semi circular fanlight incorporating a roundel.Flanking lancet lights.Defining the doorway bay are giant pilasters which rise to the pediment.Above the doorway are triple semi-circular headed windows with impost band.The outer bays have basket arch headed window openings to ground and first floors.Side elevation with lintol band to flat-headed two light basement windows,cill band to semi-circular headed first floor openings and impost band to first floor semi-circular headed openings.Attached stone flanking boundary wall to west with square teminal pier links with semi-circular,railed entrance with tall gatepiers with shallow ogee caps.Ornamental gates with spear headed rails matching the railig detail.Interior;semi-circular south end to gallery,with panelled fascia.Gallery carried on cast iron columns with foliated capitals.Inserted ceiling isolates gallery,from which benches have been removed.Organ relocated from gallery to ground floor to the rear of the contemporary rostrum fittings.Original joinery throughout including panelled doors,architraves and simple staircase.

Listing NGR: SK4247879202

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 42478 79202

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 07:37:28.

End of official listing