HITHER GREEN LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253133

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: HITHER GREEN LIBRARY, TORRIDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HITHER GREEN LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253133 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 17:40:19.

Location

Statutory Address: HITHER GREEN LIBRARY, TORRIDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 38977 73371

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

TORRIDON ROAD TQ 3873 (east side) 779-/26/10058 Hither Green Library

II

Public library. 1907 by Henry Hopton. Red Leicestershire brick with Doulton's grey terracotta dressing. Slate roof Single storey with central tower. Three bay front symmetrical, with central double panelled doors under fanlight and voussoirs flanked by banded Ionic columns which support lintel inscribed 'PUBLIC LIBRARY'. To either side are gabled bays with Venetian windows incorporating cartouches in the tympanum below consoles. Above entrance is domed octagonal tower with pinnacle, with concave faces and sharply projecting dentil cornices; eight-light windows on four sides, and scrolled bracket with scallop finials on the other four. Side elevation with six bays with central pair of gables and parapet balustrade; columnar mullions to windows. Interior with circular entrance hall under dome, original screens and coloured glass. An unusual small branch library incorporating good terracotta and a unique instance ofa Roman Baroque-inspired design in the tower. It is particularly complete. SOURCE: Building News, 8 March 1907.

Listing NGR: TQ3897773371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436270

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in 8 March, (1907)

End of official listing