DOVECOTE AT SITE OF ASTON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253143
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
DOVECOTE AT SITE OF ASTON OLD HALL, ASTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOVECOTE AT SITE OF ASTON OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 05:42:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOVECOTE AT SITE OF ASTON OLD HALL, ASTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Aston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 55315 78043

Details

ASTON BY SUTTON C.P. ASTON LANE SJ 57 NE South West of 3/41 Dovecote at site of Aston Old Hall. GV II Dovecote 1691 of Flemish bond brown brick on weathered plinth of large buff sandstone blocks. Now roofless. 3-course plain brick band at mock 1st floor; stone-coped end gables with kneelers; moulded stone eaves cornice. Recessed blocked doorway above plinth at front has flush sandstone quoins and lintel with 1691 incised. Wide central entry and narrower entry to right, both at rear, inserted or altered under plain oak lintels. Interior. Formerly divided into two chambers by full-height wall from front to back, now wholly removed but toothing visible. 13 rows of nesting boxes below eaves; 6 rows in each gable - more than 800 boxes in all, probably 1300-1400 when central wall existed. Brick platform of 2 courses, the lower course diagonally set, at the base of each row of boxes. High level opening in left end inserted, from loft of adjoining coach-house. A splendid example, regrettably partly decayed. Its use is documented in the Aston papers at Aston Lodge; the eggs, the birds and their lime for manure were all valued.

Listing NGR: SJ5531578043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436280
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].