This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TOWER HOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS AND SERVICE WING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TOWER HOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS AND SERVICE WING

List entry Number: 1253150

Location

THE TOWER HOUSE, INCLUDING ATTACHED WALLS AND SERVICE WING

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Leeds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-May-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:-

LEEDS TQ 85 SW - 3/10000 The Tower House, including attached walls and service wing - II Large detached house. Dated 1886 and 1887. Thought to have been built by John Norton. Gothic style. Red brick in stretcher bond with stone dressings and terracotta details. Tiled roofs with bands of plain and fishscale tiles and clustered moulded brick chimneystacks. Asymmetrical plan with tall tower to rear from which the house takes its name. South or garden elevation is symmetrical of two storeys three windows. Central projecting bay with gable with stone kneelers has 4-light cinquefoil oriel to first floor and 2-centred arched doorcase with sidelights containing stained glass. On either side are projecting gables with 2-light mullioned and transomed windows and 6-light square bay to ground floor with trefoil-headed mullioned and transomed windows. Carved stone balconettes above and band of terracotta panels. West elevation is of two storeys and attics three windows. Large projecting gable to south with double sash to second floor, 3-light oriel to first floor and French window with coloured glazing to ground floor. Wood and brick conservatory, recently restored, retains all the original cast- iron fittings for window adjustment and plant storage. To the north is a projecting chimneystack with four moulded brick chimneystacks flanked by double sashes. East side, also of two storeys and attics three windows, has projecting gable with double sash to attic and two storey six-light square bay below with arched heads (ogee to ground floor) and quatrefoil panel between of terracotta quatrefoils. To the north are 2 double sashes with clustered moulded brick chimneystacks in angle and terracotta cockerel on roof. Terracotta band of leaves and Tudor roses between floors. To left is a 6-panelled door with penticed tiled weather-hood on brackets above. Three steps. One storey service wing with triple sash to left, hipped roof over and attached iron water pump. North elevation has gabled returns and central 5 storey square tower with fretted balcony and octagonal finials at comers. Five pivoting windows to 4th floor, one tripartite mullioned and transomed window to 3rd floor, 2 sashes to 2nd floor, paired mullioned and transomed window to 1st floor and paired sashes to ground floor. Attached brick walls to service yard enclose one storey outbuilding with tiled roof. Attached to south east is a brick wall on stone base with date plaque 1886 and 2 colonnettes with stone moulding and ball caps. Interior features include stained glass panels enamelled with flowers and birds, cast iron grates throughout by Thomas Jekyll for the firm of Bishop and Barnard in Norwich, one depicting exotic birds and a patent ventilation system with zinc plate architectural hoppers in major rooms with adjustable vents linked to an outside air display. Original oak staircase and tiled floor to hall. Drawing Room has fireplace with fluted frieze. Dining Room has dado-panelling. Billiard Room has pink marble pilastered fire surround.

Listing NGR: TQ8178452941

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 81787 52943

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253150 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:09:33.

End of official listing