29, THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253156

Date first listed: 12-Oct-1972

Statutory Address: 29, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 29, THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253156 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 02:36:20.

Location

Statutory Address: 29, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14295 29664

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 No 29 SU 1429 NW 3/440 II* GV

2. C13/C14 building with Cl9 alterations. 2 storeys stucco faced. Steep gable end old tile roof. Large gable to front on right hand and 2 storey gabled C14 porch. Both gables have C19 bargeboards. Below large gable on 1st floor tall 3 light casement. 2 light transomed casement in ground floor. To left of porch one 2 light casement to both floors. All these windows C19 with drip moulds. The porch has a small pointed window facing east on 1st floor. Entrance to porch has pointed arch chamfered, moulded jambs. Probably in its original state the house consisted of an open hall with cross wings, the eastern part only remaining now. On 1st floor the roof of former east cross wing is largely intact. 5 bays, massive tie beams, collars with cambered brackets, crown post in partition wall and cross bracing. 3 tiers of windbraces curved. Some purlins and rafters renewed. The furthest bay to north is sealed and narrower than others: apparently a smoke bay and this was probably the service wing. West partition of large 1st floor room has wall posts and studding. The western roof of 2 bays is a later alteration, possible resetting, with King post, collars and curved windbraces. On ground floor chamfered stone arch in hall. The panelling probably C19 reset. To rear the building is of stone rubble and brick on east side with external chimney.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.S

Listing NGR: SU1429529669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319007

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing