This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1253179



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Capel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436320

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/272 The Postern 20.10.54 II*

Large house. Dated 1757 with some C19 and C20 modernisation. Flemish bond red brick on coursed sandstone ashlar footings; brick stacks and chimneyshafts; peg-tile roof.

Plan: House faces south onto the garden with its entrance front on the left (west) side. The house is terraced into the hillside so that the ground floor level is buried on the right side. Double depth plan house, 2 main rooms wide and 2 main rooms deep. Central entrance hall from the west side with the stairs rising to rear. Most rooms are heated by lateral stacks although there is one axial stack. Principal rooms on the south (garden) side with service rooms behind. 3 storeys with secondary single storey service blocks to rear.

Exterior: Principal front to the garden (south) has a symmetrical 5-window front. Ground and first floor have 12-pane sashes and second floor 9-pane sashes. Central doorway contains a C20 part-glazed door with a contemporary Georgian-style doorcase with a segmental pediment. Flat brick bands across the front at first and second floor levels, moulded brick eaves cornice and plain parapet. Roof is hipped both ends. In the centre, above the first floor window there, a brick is inscribed with the date 1757 and the initials J.E..

Entrance front has a 4-window front; it would have been symmetrical with a 5th window right of centre. Similar windows but no flat bands or eaves cornice. Central doorway is wide with an almost round-headed segmental arch containing a 6-panel door with sidelights (with internal shutters for security) and a fanlight with an elegant pattern of glazing bars. Opposite (east) side has casement windows with glazing bars, all with low segmental brick arches. Doorway off the staircase half landing contains a probably C20 part-glazed panelled door with a stone panel above carved with Adams-style decoration.

Interior: Has been somewhat modernised in the C20. For instance the principal ground floor rooms are lined with imported fielded panelling in 2 heights and principal parlour has good but introduced timber chimneypiece. Nevertheless original joinery remains. Roof not inspected.

Listing NGR: TQ6072246206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 60722 46206


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 03:06:25.

End of official listing