36A AND 36B, THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1253217
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
36A AND 36B, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 36A AND 36B, THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 23:17:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
36A AND 36B, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14259 29669

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 Nos 36A & 36B (Formerly listed as No 36) SU 1429 NW 3/29 28.2.52. II* GV

2. Mid C18 casing of earlier structure. 2 storeys and attic, stucco faced. Steep hipped old tile roof. Coved and moulded eaves cornice. 3 hipped and tile hung casement dormers. 5 windows 1st floor, flush architrave framed sashes, glazing bars intact. 2 flush framed tripartite sashes on ground floor, glazing bars, flanking central door of 6 fielded panels in wide stone Roman Doric doorcase of pilasters entablature and pediment. Secondary door to left of 6 fielded panels, recessed with panelled reveals, doorcase of reeded pilasters, rosette corner blocks and cornice over. Exposed ceiling beams on ground floor. The south front to North Walk has 3 windows on 1st floor and 2 tripartite sashes on ground, as on west front. Former central doorway or window, now blocked.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1425929669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319015
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07987/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].