94-118, LEIGH ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253226
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1991
Statutory Address:
94-118, LEIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 94-118, LEIGH ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 05:53:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
94-118, LEIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 66608 02558

Details

The following building shall be added: ATHERTON LEIGH ROAD SD 60 SE (south-west side), 2/61 Howe Bridge Nos 94-118 (even) GV II Miners cottages incorporating shops and attached institute. Dated 1875; C20 alterations. For Fletcher Burrows Ltd. Red brick, graduated Welsh slate roof. Elongated range with tall, gabled, 2-storey, 2 x 5-bay institute across left end then lower 2-storey cottages having 1st floor windows in rhythm 3:2:3:2:3:1:1 and penetrated by 3 gabled projections containing shops (nos 102, 110 and 118). Institute (nos 94 and 96): plinth; brick sill bands and stone sills to transomed 3- light casements under segmental arches. Chequered floor band beneath plaque with 'ATHERTON COLLIERIES VILLAGE CLUB'; short 4-light windows to 1st floor; decorative brick band across gable containing oculus with glazing bars in dentilled surround. Truncated lateral stacks; that on right rising from short gabled projection (C20 additions to ground floor not of special interest). Left return (facing School St.): blocked, pointed-arched central doorway; bays 1 and 2 rise as a gable whilst bay 5 forms lateral stack with with date 'A/1875/D' in quatrefoil plaque. Cottages and shops: Nos 102 and 110 form gabled projections with shop doors and tall casements divided by piers beneath linked lintels, brick hoodmoulds and bands. No 102 has 2 segmentally-arched casements to 1st floor and twin slits in gable; no 110 is taller with attic window in gable. No 118 is also gabled but has side buttresses and central shop door flanked by windows beneath bracketted canopy; 3-light casement to 1st floor and 2 slits in gable. Cottages linking each gable have segmentally-arched doors and 3-light casements to each floor divided by floor band (no 96, adjoining institute, has been altered). Panelled brick ridge stacks. Included for Group Value.

Listing NGR: SD6660802558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213546
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].