OLD HALL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253242

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: OLD HALL FARMHOUSE, BLUNDELL'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253242 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:13:46.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD HALL FARMHOUSE, BLUNDELL'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: St. Helens (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Rainhill

National Grid Reference: SJ 48976 90254

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/06/2012

SJ 49 SE 7/37 2487 9.6.52

RAINHILL RAINHILL Blundell’s Lane Old Hall Farmhouse

II*

Former Great Hall, converted to farmhouse and now derelict. C14-C19: north wing has front of c1600 contains east end upper room of c1350 (formerly used as a chapel); south-east outshut block of c1600 links north wing to south-west C19 rectangular addition. C14 work coursed ashlar; C17 Flemish bond brick with stone quoins and details, C19 coursed ashlar. Stone slate and Welsh slate pitched roofs. Symmetrical C17 north front has central gabled entrance of 2 storeys breaking forward from 2 storey elevation. Massive stone quoins and moulded string course at first floor level separates Flemish bond brick from C14 coursed ashlar undercroft. Round-headed central entrance of dressed stone with altered 1st floor and attic storey windows above. Original C17 7-light mullioned and transomed window survives to upper floor of right bay, otherwise all fenestration scattered later insertions. East gable has C17 5-light mullioned and transomed window with C19 inserted door to upper storey, south elevation has 5-light transomed and mullioned window 1st storey, 4 light inserted C17 mullioned window to C14 undercroft. Moulded floor course rises one course to left of inserted door adjacent to junction with south-east C17 outshut which has catslide roof. Single storey south elevation has 4-light mullioned window. South-west C19 2-storey symmetrical front of 5 bays with central entrance. All windows 4-pane vertical sashes in flat-faced monolith surrounds with projecting cills and keystones paired to each storey bays 1,2,4,5. Rear eastern elevation plain with one C19 upper window and added porched entry. Interior of north wing contains C17 staircase to upper floor from entrance. The c1350 roof timbers survive in 5 bays of the interior. Raised crunk with curved and braced collars with short struts above. No ridge piece, rafters meet above upper purlin. Central purlin braced above and below principal rafters, with shaped braces forming quatrefoil panels containing three rafters per square. Moulded wall plate and collar braces. The manor, of which the Great Hall survives in part in this farmhouse, was originally an extensive sequence of buildings built round a courtyard on a moated site, none of which survives intact. Included in the listing are the C17 north front gate piers and wall. Archaeological Survey of Merseyside, Merseyside County Museums File ref 4890/1; VCH Lancashire IV,370.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436397

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 370

End of official listing