ROE HEAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253258
Date first listed:
21-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
ROE HEAD, FAR COMMON ROAD, MIRFIELD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROE HEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:07:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROE HEAD, FAR COMMON ROAD, MIRFIELD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 19125 21822

Details

SE 12 SE 1/147

MIRFIELD, FAR COMMON ROAD (West Side), Roe Head

GV II

House. Mid C18 with late C18 - early C19 and C20 additions. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. Original block 3 storeys, 2 x 5 bays with late C18 - early C19 2-storey, 2-bay block added to north (left) and 2-storey, 4-bay block at right angles to south-east (rear of right return); in angle so formed is a canted 2-storey porch; further C20 additions to north not of special interest. West front: original block on right has paired bows with plinth, cill and eaves bands and 3-light windows with stone surrounds and C20 casements and sashes with glazing bars, that to ground floor left deeper with central door; roof hipped on right; corniced stacks to left end and centre of ridge. 2-bay addition on left has quoins to left, narrow left-hand bay with sash with glazing bars to each floor in stone surround with tiestones and projecting cill; right-hand bay bowed with cill bands to 5-light windows with sashes with glazing bars and tiestones; eaves band; lateral stack to left and one in rear roof pitch. Right return: original block has raised quoins to left; sashes with glazing bars, shorter on2nd floor, in stone surrounds with projecting cills; eaves band; central corniced ridge stack. Later porch has central double doors in projecting corniced surround, 12-pane sashes flanking it and above have cill bands and tiestones. Similar windows to wing, three on ground floor and two above, and to its south gable a bow with 5-light windows as before. Interior: open central staircase. Dining room retains: C18 fireplace with swags, acanthus scrolls, egg and dart mouldings; dado; panelling; egg and dart ceiling cornice. Between 1830 and 1837 the house was rented out as Roe Heath School which was attended by the Bronte Sisters: Charlotte,1831-32, who returned to teach here in 1835; Emily, briefly in 1835; and, after the school had moved to Dewsbury Moor, Anne, 1836-37.

Listing NGR: SE1912521822

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436424
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].