THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253292
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253292.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 22:16:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Welby
National Grid Reference:
SK 97538 38101

Details

SK 93 NE WELBY CHURCH LANE

2/67 The Old Rectory

II

Former Rectory, now House; 1834 by Cornelius Sherborne of Grantham, with C20 alterations. Ashlar with stone coped gables and kneelers to south side, slate roof, stone ridge stack and pair of diagonally set stone stacks on project- ing stack corbelled out from front wall at 1st floor level. Parallel range with single storey wing on north aide. 2 storey with plinth and 1st floor band. Entrance front of 3 bays with central "Gothick" traceried door and adjacent single light under one hood mould, flanked by to left single and to right double lights under hood moulds, in Tudor style with glazing bar case- ments. Above a central 2 light window with similar single light window to left, all as ground floor. To right corbelled chimney and just below that a datestone "1834" and an inscription around a coat of arms recording its construction by C. B. Oatley, Rector. The south front in matching styles has similar single and 2 light windows and a canted bay window. The interior has shutters and plain moulded cornices with simple decorative ceiling corner details; one contemporary 'Tudor' stone fireplace with leafy spandrels and a fine swept staircase with plain balusters. From information supplied by the owner a porch was removed and the single storey wing reduced to that height from 2 storeys by the Church Commissioners' Architect in the 1950s.

Listing NGR: SK9753838101

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436463
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].