QUEEN'S HEAD HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253358
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
QUEEN'S HEAD HOTEL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUEEN'S HEAD HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253358.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 17:10:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEEN'S HEAD HOTEL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Frodsham
National Grid Reference:
SJ 51659 77832

Details

FRODSHAM C.P. MAIN STREET SJ 57 NW (South Side) 2/97 Queen's Head Hotel (formerly listed as Queen's Head Hotel and Outbuilding adjacent to 20/10/52 Queen's Head Hotel) 13/7/79 GV II Hotel, C17 with front rebuilt probably early C19. Rendered brickwork exposed right; graded grey slate roof. 2 storeys, plus attics with windows in end gables. Recessed porch in round-arched opening with ornate glazed rear door; 2-storey canted bay window left; two 12-pane recessed sashes right of doorway and 3 in canted bay left; upper storey has six 9-pane unequal sashes, 3 in the bay window. Flush brick gable chimneys, left, and at rear of left wing. Attached coach-house at right of rear-yard has upper storey (access by external steps) said to have been meeting-place of court of manor, bearing oval plaque inscribed "THE articles belonging to the Brotherly and Friendly Society of Frodsham were enrolled January 12th 1813". 2 boarded coach doors in basket-arched recessed openings; a horizontal sliding sash and a boarded door, two camber-arched. 2-light 12-pane sashes to meeting-room above. Interior of Inn: probably C17 moulded oak beams in bar. Good C17 plaster ceiling in upper room with raised centralised foliated pattern in each of 3 panels, partly interrupted by subsequently built internal walls.

Listing NGR: SJ5165977832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436514
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/13394/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. David Lowe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].