PORTAL TO NORTH ENTRANCE OF BRAMHOPE RAILWAY TUNNEL AT SE 255 438

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253370

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: PORTAL TO NORTH ENTRANCE OF BRAMHOPE RAILWAY TUNNEL AT SE 255 438

Map

Ordnance survey map of PORTAL TO NORTH ENTRANCE OF BRAMHOPE RAILWAY TUNNEL AT SE 255 438
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 20:33:40.

Location

Statutory Address: PORTAL TO NORTH ENTRANCE OF BRAMHOPE RAILWAY TUNNEL AT SE 255 438

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Bramhope

National Grid Reference: SE 25572 43797

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAMHOPE SE 24 SE LS 16 6/96 Portal to north - entrance of Bramhope railway tunnel at SE 255 438 - II

Portal to north entrance of tunnel on Leeds to Thirsk Railway. 1845 to 1849. Engineer Thomas Grainger. Rock-faced sandstone. Gothic style, with side tower and turrets. Horseshoe archway, with bolection-moulded surround and large figured keystone, machicolated cornice, parapet of plain slabs each with a square hole, central raised cop framing a cartouche with wheatsheaf, fleece and fish emblems. To the left a large cylindrical tower of 3 stages defined by string courses, with round-headed windows in each stage, machicolated cornice and high embattled parapet with blind cruciform loops. To the right a smaller octagonal tower on a square base, with similar loops, and corbelled battlements. Retaining wall continued on each side of these towers, that on the right with a quadrant terminating in a turret, that on the left straight and probably similarly terminated (end concealed by vegetation). Note: memorial to workmen killed during the construction of this tunnel, in form of a model of it, in churchyard of Otley Parish Church, Otley.

Listing NGR: SE2557243797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436540

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing