LITTLE CREECH (ROYAL SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS CENTRE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253377

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1995

Statutory Address: LITTLE CREECH (ROYAL SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS CENTRE), BICKENHALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE CREECH (ROYAL SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS CENTRE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253377 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 20:18:04.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE CREECH (ROYAL SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS CENTRE), BICKENHALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane (District Authority)

Parish: West Hatch

National Grid Reference: ST 27692 19725

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST HATCH BICKENHALL LANE ST 21 NE

8/10003 Little Creech (RSPCA Centre)

- II

Farmhouse. Circa early to mid C17; remodelled and extended in late C18 [datestone 1783]; altered C19. Rendered stone. Asbestos slate roof with Hamstone coping to gable-ends; rear pitch clad in concrete tiles. Axial and gable-end stacks with rebuilt brick shafts. PLAN: 3-room plan with service rooms in the rear outshut and a cross-passage to the right of the centre room. The original house would have had a 3-room plan with a lobby entrance in front of the axial stack between the central hall/parlour and the kitchen on the right with its large gable-end stack. In the late C18 the house was refenestrated, the eaves were raised, the roof rebuilt and an outshut built across the back. In the C19 a cross-passage was inserted through the kitchen and an outshut was built at the right [east] end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south front, arranged 2:1. Hamstone 3-light mullion windows with iron casements. Cross-passage doorway to right of centre with cambered arch and panelled and glazed door. On first floor, to right of centre, a stone tablet inscribed BI:IM:DB:1783. At the rear [north] the roof is carried down as a catslide over the outshut. INTERIOR: Right-hand room [kitchen], reduced because of insertion of cross-passage, has chamfered cross-beam over passage partition and very large fireplace with chamfered stone jambs, large chamfered timber lintel with step stops, shelf on brackets, pegs above, oven and curing chamber; blocked newel staircase beside stack. Central room [hall/parlour] has chamfered cross-beams with cyma stops and large stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and cyma-moulded timber lintel. The left [west] room has no exposed features. C18 tenoned-purlin roof with collars pegged to the faces of the principals.

Listing NGR: ST2769219725

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436549

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing