Former Sopwith Aviation Company Factory

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253383
Date first listed:
09-May-1994
Statutory Address:
Former Sopwith Aviation Company Factory, Canbury Park Road, Kingston upon Thames

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former Sopwith Aviation Company Factory
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 10:10:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Former Sopwith Aviation Company Factory, Canbury Park Road, Kingston upon Thames

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1841469620

Details

TQ 16 NE 59/3/10014

CANBURY PARK ROAD Former Sopwith Aviation Company Factory

II

Aviation factory, later polytechnic then university engineering department. Built in five main stages in the years 1913-18 with some minor additions made in 1935-36. The oldest part is at the centre of Canbury Park Road, originally a single-storey shed with two-storey offices on either side (including a first-floor drawing office) that masked the shed from the road. An extension was added in 1914-15 that included a saw mill and carpenters' shop on Elm Road, at least doubling the size of the original. This complex was itself doubled in size in 1916-17, with the addition of woodworking, paint and tinsmith's shops in two phases along Elm Crescent. Last of all came the offices at the corner of Elm Crescent and Canbury Park Road in 1917. The original part and the first extension, in Canbury Park Road, were raised in 1935-36 to provide new planning and cost offices above the drawing office. Mainly red brick with slate roof; two or three storeys.

Offices at corner of Canbury Park Road and Elm Crescent of 1913-14. Canbury Park Road elevation has 14 windows, mainly top opening metal casements, and including two storey five-light canted bay to left. Brick pilasters on ground floor. Elm Crescent elevation has 13 metal casements including two four-light canted bays to first floor and splayed round-headed entrance with keystone and impost blocks. C20 door. Adjoining in Elm Crescent are the 1916-17 woodworking, paint and tinsmith's shops. Three storeys with a series of gables with oculi. Canbury Park Road elevations incorporate the earliest part of the complex from 1913 with first floor drawing office heightened by one storey in 1935-6. Three storeys; 38 windows in all. Elm Road has 1914-15 saw mill and carpenters shop of two storeys incorporating section with four gables with oculi. Office has well staircase and panelled Boardroom reported. Metal truss roofs to factory. This is probably the oldest purpose-built aeroplane factory in England and no other site saw the design of so many outstanding aircraft. From 1912-20 this was the Sopwith Aviation Co formed by Sir T O M Sopwith which produced the Sopwith Camel (1916-17) and the Snipe (1918) designed here. From 1920 the factory continued as the H G Hawker Engineering Factory. Under the famous designer Sydney Camm (1893-1966) the Hawker Fury (1931) and the Hawker Hurricane (1933) were designed on this site. No other site in England saw the design of so many outstanding aircraft as this one.

Listing NGR: TQ1841469620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436564
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enrich[email protected].