This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MONICA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MONICA

List entry Number: 1253428

Location

CHURCH OF ST MONICA, HOXTON SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hackney

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: HOXTON SQUARE TQ 3382 (north side) 735-/35/10012 CHURCH OF ST MONICA GV II

Mission church. 1865-6 by Edward Welby Pugin for the Augustinian Fathers, extended 1880. Stock brick with some stone dressings, slate roof supported on timber arcade. Eight-bay nave with aisles and western gallery, has timber arcade with bracing and chamfers, supporting trusses with cross braces; exposed rafters over rose-window clerestorey, leads to two-bay chancel with paired arcade and lancets. The west front a tight composition with Perpendicular west window over central door - a taut composition between two massive buttresses and oversailed by narrow bellcote. East window with stained glass of 1924 by M E Aldrich Rope. Altar and reredos attributed to Edward Welby Pugin. Single-bay Lady chapel 1880 by John Young. Underneath the gallery a door gives access to the priory (q.v). Included as part of a rare surviving composition of church, school and priory by an important architect who here produced a cheap building that nevertheless has considerable distinction.

Listing NGR: TQ3318082796

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 33180 82796

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 11:02:57.

End of official listing