OXFORD CANAL, WHARF HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253432

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1994

Statutory Address: OXFORD CANAL, WHARF HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OXFORD CANAL, WHARF HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 07:46:30.

Location

Statutory Address: OXFORD CANAL, WHARF HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Cropredy

National Grid Reference: SP4693146583

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:- CROPREDY

SP4646 OXFORD CANAL 1720-0/14/10000 Wharf House

II

Canal toll house and inn. Circa 1778, altered in circa late C19. Red, buff and some blue bricks in Flemish bond. Welsh slate hipped roof with lead rolls to the hips and brick dentil eaves course. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: 2-room plan front range with central entrance and stairhall and with service rooms in rear outshut; the outshut was raised to 2 storeys in the C19. On the right[east]side facing the canal is a small canal toll office. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay south front. Late C19 sash windows with stone cills, painted stone or rendered lintils to ground floor and rubbed brick flat arches to first floor. Central glazed door with flat canopy above. On the right hand return single storey brick toll office with window on east side, plank door at front and hipped slate roof with lead rolls to hips and brick dentil eaves. At the rear the main roof is carried down over the 2-storey outshut which has 3-light horizontally sliding sashes with glazing bars and 2-light casements above with glazing bars. INTERIOR is basically intact with much of its original joinery. Dogleg staircase with stick balusters, column newel and moulded handrail. 6-panel doors. Right hand [east] room has plain chimneypiece and panelled cupboard doors. Toll office has small fireplace with simple grate. NOTE: The Oxford Canal at this point was completed in 1778 by the Oxford Canal Company. First licenced as Navigation Inn and wharf in 1778.

---------------------------------------------

Listing NGR: SP4693146583

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436637

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing