Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253438

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1993

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET


Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253438 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 14:24:57.


Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Uttoxeter

National Grid Reference: SK 09133 33532


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following buildings shall be added:

UTTOXETER HIGH STREET SK 0833-0933 810-0/1/10000 Town Hall GV II Town Hall now Market hall. 1854 By Thomas Fradgley of Uttoxeter. Red brick in Flemish bond with painted ashlar sandstone dressings; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys; symmetrical 5-bay front of which the end bays project and are pedimented; assembly hall across rear. Classical style. Tall plinth; channel-rusticated quoin strips; 4-pane sashes in segmentally- arched ashlar surrounds with transoms and overlights. Central stone porch with square columns and openwork metal balustrade; steps to doorway within. Porch is flanked by narrow side lights and then by double doors. End bay on right has vehicle entrance with segmental arch and keystone. 1st floor band and cornice; tripartite window above porch flanked by windows without transoms. Entablature of end pediments is carried around eaves; various stacks, mostly truncated. Rear: tripartite sash above vehicle entrance; pediment over. Assembly hall has brick pilasters, brick entablature and pedimented gables with louvred lunettes; end stacks. West side lit by 3 margin-glazed sashes in raised brick surrounds with aprons and segmental arches. Interior: entrance lobby has doors and screen with diagonal glazing bars; swirled acanthus ceiling roses; doorway into assembly hall has 3 wreaths on its frieze. Main staircase with quarter landings and decorative cast-iron balustrade panels to continuous mahogany handrail wreathed at the foot; octagonal lanterns to stairwell and landing. Assembly hall: Doorways have eared architraves; gallery on 2 cast-iron columns at north end continues at higher level along 2/3 of each side of hall: elaborate scrolled, cast-iron balustrade panels with anthemion motifs; wooden handrail. Ceiling has coved edge and 3 large ventilated roses. Designed to accommodate Savings Bank, Police Office, Council Chamber and Library for the Literary Institute as well as a hall for dancing, meetings etc. Redfern. F. History of Uttoxeter, 1885.

Listing NGR: SK0913333532


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 361644

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Redfern, F, History of Uttoxeter, (1885)

End of official listing