CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253457
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 13:16:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Helsby
National Grid Reference:
SJ 49266 75859

Details

HELSBY C.P. CHESTER ROAD SJ 47 NE (South Side) 1/117 Church of St Paul. II Church 1868-70 by John Douglas, south aisle (and transept?) added 1909 by Douglas and Minshull. Coursed rock-faced yellow sandstone; graded green Westmorland slate roofs. Nave with towerless slate west spire; catslide roof of shallower pitch over south aisle; transepts; apsidal chancel. Paired lancets and very simple plate tracery. Externally the steep roofs, with the splay-footed octagonal spire seeming to float above two great bell-louvres around its base, are a powerful feature, architecturally very advanced. Interior. Nave of 5 bays; beam on octagonal stone piers carries simply-framed aisle roof; wide arch-braced nave roof; corbelled piers carry nave and chancel arches, very simple; chamfered unmoulded transept arches; lofty chancel roof with no principal rafters but hammer-posts to common rafters; deeply splayed embrasures; glass in porch, chancel and south transept. A satisfying interior.

Listing NGR: SJ4926675859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436668
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/12712/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].