SHERENDON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253478
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1954
Statutory Address:
SHERENDON FARMHOUSE, SHERENDON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHERENDON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 06:13:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHERENDON FARMHOUSE, SHERENDON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Capel
National Grid Reference:
TQ 62785 46279

Details

TQ 64 NW CAPEL SHERENDON LANE, TUDELEY

1/281 Sherendon Farmhouse 20.10.54 II

Farmhouse. Probably C17, possibly earlier with various later modernisations (the largest one circa 1700). The earlier part is timber-framed although the end wall was rebuilt in the C19 with Flemish bond red brick and the front is clad with cement render incised like ashlar masonry. The circa 1700 extension front is of coursed blocks of local stone ashlar with large quoins on the south end corner and south end wall of English bond red brick including a large number of burnt headers. Brick stack and chimneyshafts and peg-tile roof. Plan: Farmhouse faces east south east, say east. The C17 section is at the right (north) end, 3-room lobby entrance plan house. The small north end room has an end stack, inserted there in the late C19. The main axial stack between the other 2 rooms serves back-to-back fireplaces and the lobby entrance is in front. Circa 1700 2-room plan parlour extension to left (south). Any stack here is now disused.

House is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace and lean-to outshots across the rear of the right end.

Exterior: Irregular 4-window front of various windows. At the left end a late C19 canted bay window containing timber mullion-and-transom windows. Alongside is C19 16-pane sash, and next to that a tripartite sash with a central 16-pane sash. Above that is a C17 oriel window on curving oak brackets (5 lights with ovolo-moulded mullions). First floor right end another C17 window, 3 lights with chamfered oak mullions. Rest are C19 and C20 casements. Pent roof across the front of the older section at first floor level. Main roof is half-hipped both ends and contains 3 front gabled dormers. To rear roof is carried down over the outshots.

Interior: Not available for inspection at the time of this survey.

Listing NGR: TQ6278546279

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436705
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].