Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 11:07:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 28394 50604


The following items shall be added:

MELTON STATION ROAD TM 25 SE 5/40 Church of St Andrew GV II

Parish Church 1866-8 by Frederick J. Barnes. Flat faced rustic ragstone with Caen stone dressings. Slate roofs with caped gable ends.

Early Decorated Geometric style, the details fairly correctly interpreted.

Plan: Nave. chancel, north aisle, tower over porch at west end of south side of nave, small transepted vestry on south side of chancel and later vestry on north side of chancel. The parish room on the north east corner of the chancel was built in 1973.

Exterior: Geometric traceried windows. 2-light nave windows on south side with buttresses between, small transepted vestry to chancel on right and large 3-sta tower to left over porch with moulded 2-centred arch doorway, angle buttresses, trefoil friezes, Geometric traceried 2-light bell-openings and stone broach spire with lucarnes and weathervane. 3-light Geometric traceried east and west windows.

On the north side the nave roof is carried down as a catslide over the north aisle, the north wall of which as short pointed head windows and occuli with squat buttresses between and large angle buttresses at north west corner. 2 wooden clerestorey dormers in the nave roof on the north side and one long 8-light flat roof dormer over the aisle below all with wooden tracery: chancel has similar dormer and later flat-roof vestry on north side. The plank doors have ornate wrought-iron hinges.

Interior: Plastered walls. 5-bay north arcade with octagonal piers and double-chamfered 2 centred arches. Fine arch-braced hammerbeam nave roof; single pitch north aisle roof with large pierced spandrels over the trusses and against the arcade spandrels; scissor-braced chancel roof. Elaborate oak screen of 1934 with carved tracery and vaulted canopy. The seating is complete including the choir stalls. Carved Gothic altar rail, wooden pulpit and lectern. Organ - C19. Encaustic tile floors. Fine C15 font, tall octagonal stem with pinnacles at the corners and canopied niches with signs of the four Evangelists and four small figures; the octagonal bowl has panels with the Seven Sacrements and the Martyrdom of St Andrew. Stained glass: East window 1872 by Ward and Hughes, south window 1903 by C E Kempe and other windows by Heaton Butler and Bayne and A L Moore.

Source: A Riches 'Victorian Church Building and Restoration in Suffolk' (supplement to Munro Cantley's 'Suffolk Churches').

Listing NGR: TM2839450604


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04939/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Routen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].