CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TOWN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253495.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 10:48:20.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, TOWN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- Westborough and Dry Doddington
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 85017 44299
SK 84 SE WESTBOROUGH & DRY DODDINGTON TOWN STREET (south end)
5/99 Church of All Saints 20.9.66 G.V. I
Parish church. C11, c.1190, late C13, C14, C15, C17, 1749-52 restored in 1811, C19, 1951. Limestone ashlar,coursed ironstone rubble, blue lias, red brick, some rendering, with lead, pantile and slate roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, north and south porches, north transept, rectangular chancel, north-east vestry. Ashlar tower of 1752, of 3 stages with small plinth. First stage, west side has C20 rectangular door with pair of plain pointed C18 lights above. Second stage has 2 single pointed lights, 4 bell openings of plain paired pointed lights. Moulded eaves and battlements above. North aisle of coursed ironstone and blue lias rubble. In south corner an C18 buttress level with first stage of tower. Blocked C18 doorway with segmtnal headed and blocked late C12 lancet above. Small, plain narrow angle buttress. Larger angle buttress on noth side with "R.G.1749" scratched on it. Fragmentary string course. Early C14 pointed window of 3 cusped lights with reticulated tracery divided by a transom and C19 hood mould. Moulded eaves and early C15 battlements above. North porch of irregular blocks of ashlar, blue lias and earlyC19 brick with dentillated eaves, plain segmental headed archway, coped gable and slate roof. Interior of porch is flanked by stone benches with north doorway of c.1190 with 2 flanking columnar responds with plain moulded capitals and pointed arch with filleted rolls. East of porch are 2 small circular windows, probably re-set C11 fragments. Late C13 north transept raised in early C15. Moulded string course which does not run over angle buttress of 2 stages. Large C17 north window of 5 lights with 2 transoms and intersecting tracery, the lower transom having shallow castellation decoration. Window flanked by nook shafts with shaft rings and moulded capitals with hood mould above. Damaged C15 parapet with shields and quatrefoils above. East and west sides of transept are battlemented. East side has two 3-light late C13 pointed windows with intersecting tracery. Clerestorey of 3 early C15 windows each of 2 lights under 3-centred heads. Moulded eaves and battlements above. Late C12 chancel has small ashlar plinth and moulded string course on north side. Small, low, C15 rectangular window with late C12 doorway, now blocked to the east, with fragmentary stiff-leaf capitals and moulded pointed arch. 4 tall C12 lancets, the 2 to the east cut off, but intact where the C15 vestry was added. Vestry has heavily moulded plinth and string course, a small buttress of 2 stages on west side and small C12 quatrefoil inserted. East side has C15 window of 2 ogee headed lights with continuous mullion under a 3-centred head. Moulded eaves and lead roof. C15 moulded plinth and string course continue across C12 chancel's east front. Pilaster buttresses flank large C17 rectangular window of 5 lights with a single transom decorated with shallow castellations, flanked by nook shafts with shaft rings and moulded capitals. Rendered brick gable above of 1951. Southside of chancel has C12 plinth and string course, 2 tall lancets and to the west an C18 rectangular window of 2 ogee lights each divided by a mullion with quatrefoils above, and hood mould with weathered head label stops. C18 string course below at lower level than C12 string course broken into by window. South aisle's east end was rebuilt in 1750 after collapse of south transept, with plinth, string course and rectangular window with 5 round headed lights divided by transom. Moulded eaves above, Large squat buttress below masonry joint revealing break between C18 and C14 builds. String course runs below C14 pointed window of 3 cusped lights with mouchettes and hood mould. Original pitch of south porch roof visible with moulded eaves above. C15 porch with moulded plinth and the diagonal buttresses cut off by present, lower roof level. Plain polygonal jambed doorway with pointed moulded arch and ogee headed empty: niche above. Benches flank porch interior. Late C12 south door with columnar responds, that to the west missing, plain moulded capitals and plain moulded pointed arch. C15 window to west of porch with 3 cusped lights with mullions continued up into the tracery above, 4-centred hoodmould and weathered head label stops. Diagonal buttress of 3 stages. C15 west window of 3 cusped lights with continuous mullions under rectangular head. Clerestory of 3 C15 windows, each of 2 lights under 3-centred head. Plain, pointed, blocked, C18 interior tower arch with plain C20 door inserted. C18 murals of Death and St. Michael painted above. Nave arcades of c.1190, of 2 bays and crossing bay. Piers of 4 clustered shafts with plain moulded capitals and bases. The western responds are semi-circular with plain waterleaf capitals and shaft rings. North aisle's west wall contains blocked C18 doorway. To the east where the north aisle leads into transept the pier is paired with a late C13 octagonal pier supporting a pointed moulded arch. Chancel arch of c.1190, pointed with plain chamfers. The innermost responds broken off probably for insertion of screen no longer extant. String course runs round under sills of chancel windows. C15 4-centred doorway to vestry in north wall with C15 door. Rectangular aumbry in north wall. Sedilia of 3 trefoiled stark and heavy arches in south wall. To east are 2 round headed arches over piscina. 9 C15 bench ends restored in 1951. C15 screen of 4 panels divided by mullions with rosettes, cusping and shallow castellations on vertical rail. C19 pulpit and lectern. C12 octagonal stone font with interlaced arches and beaded flat stylised leaves in spandrels. Large C16 chest with sunken panels and several locks. Early C20 pews. C12 foliated cross slab now in south transept bay formerly in church yard.
Listing NGR: SK8501644299
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing