This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1253593



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Calne Without

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436848

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST 97 SE CALNE WITHOUT CHURCH ROAD, Derry Hill (north side)

2/48 Christ Church


Anglican parish church, 1839-40 by T.H. Wyatt and D. Brandon. Squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Low pitched Bridgwater tile roof with coped shouldered east gables to nave and chancel. Simple Perpendicular Gothic with unaisled broad nave, shallow chancel and thin west tower with recessed octagonal spire. Tower has Tudor-arched west door, long mullion-and-transom window over with blank upper lights and hoodmould, 2-light bell-openings and parapet with stepped battlements. Shallow clasping buttresses and small canted projections in angle to west wall of nave. Five- window nave of square-headed 2-light windows with buttresses between and shouldered gabled south porch. Chancel has stepped parapet to projecting south porch and 3-light segmental-pointed east window. Interior almost unaltered with plain west gallery, broad nave roof trusses and flat-roofed chancel, the chancel walls canted in from nave with angle shafts carrying curved wooden brackets. Canted wall to right has stone Gothic pulpit reached by stairs within wall. Bright coloured east window to Mrs. Lysley, died 1865, one other stained window to J. Spencer died 1881, the rest with patterned quarries and coloured borders. In churchyard, not included in listing, tombs of 5th Marquess of Lansdowne (1845-1927) and Marchioness (died 1932). The 5th Marquess was Governor General of Canada 1883-8, Viceroy of India 1888-94 and Foreign Secretary 1900-5.

Listing NGR: ST9626970904

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 96269 70904


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 07:15:51.

End of official listing