CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253629

Date first listed: 13-Dec-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 15:57:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough (District Authority)

Parish: Cloughton

National Grid Reference: TA 00888 94251

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 09 SW CLOUGHTON HIGH STREET (west side) 5/63 13.12.51 Church of St Mary

GV II

Church. 1831, by J Thompson and G Taylor. Restored and extended in 1889-90 by Smith, Brodrick and Lowther. Tooled sandstone on chamfered plinth, with sandstone ashlar dressings; slate roof. West bellcote; 5-bay nave and continuous chancel; north chapel and organ chamber; south vestry. Pointed 2-light west window with Perpendicular-style tracery. Gabled bellcote has three square-headed openings beneath Tudor-arched corbelled hoodmoulds. Nave north wall contains Tudor-arched doorway, with 3-light, Perpendicular-style window to east. Further east extension projects and has two cusped lancets in square-headed surrounds. South side exten- sion repeats that in north side, and partly obscures a blocked pointed opening. West return contains Tudor-arched doorway. Nave south wall has 3-light, Perpendi- cular-style window. East window is of 5-lights with Perpendicular-style tracery. East ends of flanking extensions contain single cusped lancets in square-headed surrounds. All openings are double chamfered, those to nave cavetto and ovolo moulded. Gables are coped. Catslide roofs to extensions. Gable crosses to bell- cote and to east end. Interior: chapel and organ chamber screened off by arcade of two double-chamfered two-centred arches on one octagonal pier and corbelled responds. Chancel south wall contains marble monument to William Bower and his wife Priscilla, dated 1704. Tablet between palm volutes and surmounted by swan- necked pediment broken by an urn, is inscribed: "They live well, who love well and They die well, who live well"

War memorial tablet by Eric Gill.

Listing NGR: TA0088894251

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326936

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing