This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER QUAKER MEETING HOUSE BEHIND NUMBERS 87 AND 89 HIGH STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER QUAKER MEETING HOUSE BEHIND NUMBERS 87 AND 89 HIGH STREET

List entry Number: 1253660

Location

FORMER QUAKER MEETING HOUSE BEHIND NUMBERS 87 AND 89 HIGH STREET, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Needham Market

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 436921

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 0855

3/89 Former Quaker Meeting House behind Nos.87 and 9.12.55 89 High Street (formerly listed as part of No 87 and No 89 (Old Friends Meeting House ))

- II

Former Quaker Meeting House, now a store. Circa 1772 with C19 alterations. Mainly timber-framed and pebble-dashed. Slated roof (the west face re- finished in asbestos sheeting). A gable chimney of gault brick. Mainly small-pane sashes, perhaps renewed early C19. A pair of entrance doors each having 2 fielded panels, with an open porch, also original, but altered and roofed in corrugated iron; a central post in the form of a pilaster. The meeting room is little-altered, with horizontal beaded boarding and a deep loft; the balustrading was renewed C20 but a part of the staircase remains. The room beneath has a little original joinery including a screen with hatchways to the main room. The approach to the Meeting House is lined by C18 and C19 graves of the Alexander and Maw families; the headstones now rest against adjacent outbuildings. A History of Needham Market: Hugh Pagett, C.B.E.,1984.

Listing NGR: TM0878655052

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pagett, H, A History of Needham Market, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TM 08786 55052

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 01:18:58.

End of official listing