THE LIMES HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253662

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1986

Statutory Address: THE LIMES HOTEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE LIMES HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253662 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 17:36:15.

Location

Statutory Address: THE LIMES HOTEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Needham Market

National Grid Reference: TM 08772 55121

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 05 NE

3/93 The Limes Hotel (formerly listed as No.99 (The 9.12.55 Limes)) - II*

Hotel, c.1500 with alterations of late C16 and late C18. The front range comprises a high-quality 2-cell timber-framed building of c.1500, encased at the front in red brickwork in, it is believed 1771. A parapet of red brick has a wooden moulded and modillioned cornice. Plaintiled roof; flat-roofed dormers with leaded casements. Rear chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys and attics. 6 windows. C18 sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, and small panes. Good C18 entrance doorway: an open pediment on engaged Roman Doric columns; the whole entablature is enriched with fretted patterns. 6-panelled door and panelled reveals, semi-circular fanlight with scroll-patterned glazing bars. The doorway is approached by 7 stone steps with wrought iron railings. Both cells in the front range have a large room on each floor: at the ground storey are ceilings of richly-moulded joists of c.1500, the main beams are also embattled. At the upper storey both rooms (now subdivided and with attics inserted) have an open truss with an octagonal crownpost with moulded capital and base. A long range to rear right is in 3 sections: a short section of c.1600 with a massive internal chimney, a longer range to rear of mid C16 having a 5-bay roof whose crown posts are square with long straight braces, and a C17/C18 extension beyond. A 2-storey block was added to rear in c.1771 forming a double-pile plan; hipped plaintiled roofs, and at 1st storey are original small-pane sashes with flush frames. A large mid C20 single-storey extension to rear. On the Ashburnham Estate Map of 1772, the premises were described as The Bull Inn, and extensive ranges at the rear enclosed a courtyard.

Listing NGR: TM0877255121

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436925

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing