TUDOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253664

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: 113, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE, 111, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TUDOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253664 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 17:14:09.

Location

Statutory Address: 113, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: TUDOR HOUSE, 111, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Needham Market

National Grid Reference: TM 08738 55167

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (WEST) TM 0855

3/96 No.111 (Tudor House) and No. 113 9.12.55

- II*

Two houses and a shop, built as one Wealden type house in late C15. Alterations of several dates from c.1500 to c.1850. 2 storeys. Timber-framed: No.111 encased in painted mid C19 brick, No.113 plastered. Plaintiled roof with massive C16 chimney of red brick behind main range. Mid C19 small-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, and 4-panelled entrance door with oblong fanlight. A further plank door of perhaps C16 marks the cross-passage position, within the service end. The single-bay open hall to left was entered via a spere whose posts and braces are removed; above the sperebeam is a closed truss with tension-braced studwork. Both end cells have heavy exposed floor joists. An original 4-centred arched doorway from hall to parlour. Plain crownpost roof without smoke-blackening, indicating that this late open hall never had an open hearth. A large open fireplace in the hall has a cambered lintel bearing a small incised merchant mark of Thomas Aldous (married 1536); the later inserted floor over the hall has roll-moulded joists of mid C16 type. A nether parlour in an added rear wing is mentioned in the will of 1500 of John Flegg. It has a plank and muntin screen and moulded main beams. Further extensions to rear at both ends of early C16, have plain crownpost roofs, and long-wall jettied upper floors. Various alterations to the left-hand rear wing of c.1600 include: a staircase with turned balusters, oak wainscotting in the nether parlour and chamber above, and extensive rebuilding of ground storey walling in red brick with 4-centred arched doorways and a bay window on a moulded plinth with wooden ovolo mullions and transomes. A History of Needham Market: Hugh Paget C.B.E., 1984. Suffolk Houses: E. Sandon, 1977.

Listing NGR: TM0873855167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436928

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pagett, H, A History of Needham Market, (1984)
Sandon, E, Suffolk Houses: A Study of Domestic Architecture, (1977)

End of official listing