GATEHOUSE TO TAWSTOCK COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1253770

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE TO TAWSTOCK COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE TO TAWSTOCK COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253770 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 20:31:01.

Location

Statutory Address: GATEHOUSE TO TAWSTOCK COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Tawstock

National Grid Reference: SS 55776 29843

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TAWSTOCK TAWSTOCK SS 52 NE 4/94 - Gatehouse to Tawstock Court 25.2.65 GV II*

Gatehouse. Dated 1574. Freestone ashlar with some early brickwork to the turret vaulting. Continues cavetto moulded plinth. Gabled slate roof. Rectangular on plan with principal entrance on south side flanked by tall octagonal corner turrets. 2 storeys, the intermediate floor now removed. Corner turrets of 3 stages. Embattled parapet except to turrets which are moulded. Large 4 centred outer arched entrance to centre south side with ogee-flanking-hollow moulded surround. Gates of 2 heavy studded leaves with cover strips and chamfered rectangular boss decoration to the panels. The left gate has carved grotesque male head to the top rail, female head to right. Over the arch are 2 straight-headed stone windows of two 4 centred arched lights with hoodmoulds formed from the string with dropped ends flanking elaborate pedimented stone cartouche bearing heraldic achievement with eared Ionic-style fluted pilasters and 1574 datestone above. Flanking corner turrets of 3 stages have single light stone windows to splayed facets of the first stage with carved spandrels and hoodmoulds. Blind single light window over rectangular window to top and second stage of left side of left hand tower which has defensive loop to the bottom stage of its inner face. Rectangular window opening to right side of first stage of right hand turret. Tall blocked window opening to rear right side of gatehouse upper storey. Blocked ground floor doorway to left side. Plain moulded 4-centred inner arch with relieving arch and stone mullion window above of three 4 centred arched lights with foliated spandrels. Within the outer arch is a timber doorway to each turret stairway, that to right with segmental head, that to left with depressed head and placed obliquely across the angle. Stairs removed or collapsed. Roof structure replaced in C20.

Listing NGR: SS5577629843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437076

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing