This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1253908

Location

THE VICARAGE, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ardleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437229

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARDLEIGH OFF THE STREET TM 02 NE (east side)

6/59 The Vicarage 21.2.50 GV II

House. C18 and later features, of C17 or earlier. Timber framed, rough rendered brick facing. Red plain tiled roofs, hipped to right, gabled to left crosswings. 2 left range and off centre main range chimney stacks. 2 storeys and attics. Flat headed dormer, small paned vertically sliding sash window to main range. Parapet. Central band. First floor 2:2:1, ground floor 1:0:1 small paned vertically sliding sashes, those to ground floor crosswings and first floor right crosswing Venetian windows. Long central hipped grey slate trellised porch, 4 panelled door with side lights. Various rear wings with 3 uniform hipped gables. Rev. John Kelly MA lived here 1796. Born 1750 at Bradden, I.O.M. he started to translate the Bible into the Manx language at the age of 16, 1776 he wrote a dictionary of the Manx language. After becoming tutor to Lord Huntley and accompanying him as fellow commoner to Cambridge and on the Grand Tour of the Continent he married and later, 1795, became Vicar of Ardleigh. Fearing his village might be caught up in fighting during the Napoleonic Wars he decided to make a list of all his parishioners. He called at every house and cottage and transcribed the information on to 12 pages of the parish register. This information forms the basis of the book by F.H. Erith Ardleigh in 1796", 1978.

Listing NGR: TM0539629589

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Erith, F H, Ardleigh in 1796, (1978)

National Grid Reference: TM 05396 29589

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253908 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 05:50:22.

End of official listing