FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253930

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1990

Statutory Address: FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST, WIDMORE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 23:06:20.

Location

Statutory Address: FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST, WIDMORE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bromley (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 40595 69408

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

BROMLEY WIDMORE ROAD TQ 46 NW 5/506 First Church of Christ Scientist II

Christian Science Church. 1928 by E Braxton Sinclair in an inventive Neo- Classical style with brickwork and doors reminiscent of Art-Deco cinemas. The projected Sunday school was not built to the original design and is a 1961 building not of special interest. Built on steel frame clad in brown brick with red brick dressings. Chamfered square tall central hall with large central entrance and lower service rooms around. Central hall has 2 parapets, the lower with cornice with stone coping. Giant pilasters separate window bays. 3 metal casements to each front incorporating stylized pilasters in the design. Large brick portico has 4 rusticated brick columns in antis with cornice and stone tablet with inscription 'FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST SCIENTIST BROMLEY KENT'. 3 double lined oak doors with fluted wooden pilasters and iron grilles with wave pattern. Rear elevation has tall projection flanked by octagonal windows. 1 storey brick offices on all faces. Rainwater heads with rose pattern dated 1928. Interior has oval foyer with semicircular roof lights and oak doors and Hepton wood stone floors and auditorium with oak pews and platform with panelled pilastered rear wall of 2 tapering fluted oak reading desks. Above this is a pilastered feature with decorative metal grille. Original hanging lamps. Ceil- ing divided into small compartments with a heavy cornice and same Art-Deco inspired grille work. [See The Building 8 May 1927.]

Listing NGR: TQ4059569408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358653

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Building' in 8 May, (1927)

End of official listing