48 AND 48A, THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1253969
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Oct-1972
Statutory Address:
48 AND 48A, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 48 AND 48A, THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253969.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 19:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
48 AND 48A, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14286 29752

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 Nos 48 & 48A (Formerly listed as No 48) SU 1429 NW 3/24 28.2.52. II* GV

2. Cl4/C15but recased C17 and C18. 2 storeys and attic, stucco faced. Gable end old tile roof. Wood 1st floor string. 2 large hipped dormers with C19 lights. 1st floor has late C18 casement to left and 4 light canted bay to right (recently cut back) sash glazing bar lights, panelled apron. On ground floor 2 C18 windows flanking entrance, one a single sash the other tripartite, thick glazing bars; both with panelled shutters. Door off centre 6 panels, in architrave surround, plain frieze, panelled pilasters and carved scroll brackets supporting heavy moulded cornice, broken forward over brackets. The south gable end wall, in passage, has stone external chimney with offsets. Stone rubble and timber framed walling with brick infilling now rendered over. Tile hung part to rear. The east rear elevation has tle hung built out early C19 part but with old stone rubble base to left. Early C19 tripartite sash on 1st floor, blocked window on north side. The upper floor of the wing partly conceals pair of gables to main block one with timber framing. To the north and running east a lower partly timber framed wing, restored casements. North. wing has various blocks of reused old Sarum stone with chevron and star carvings. Interior has some remains of timber frame. Wall post in ground floor cloak room. Hall has beams and partition. Front living room has beams showing position of former overhang. In small front kitchen part of the wall of adjoining North Gate qv is exposed, stone and flint chequer, blocked doorway (formerly night watchman's entrance). On 1st floor south side room with C17 Panelling, possibly reset, section hinged with original hinges. A document of 1386 refers to evidence of Cathedral Clock winder. The building was also atone time the Porter's Lodge and the premises included the chamber over the North Gate qv and also the prison house of the Close.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1427929750

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319023
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06916/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].