- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BARNES CLOSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253992.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2020 at 17:33:18.
- Statutory Address:
- BARNES CLOSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 93104 07934
SS 90 NW CADELEIGH
5/52 Barnes Close
House. Largely early C19, partly remodelled and refurbished in the circa late C19.
Stuccoed, the main block cob with brick bays on the front, the rear right wing stone
rubble; slate roof, gabled at ends; axial stack, rear lateral stack and end stacks to
main range, end stack to kitchen wing, all with brick shafts.
Plan Overall U plan sited on a hillside overlooking the Exe Valley; south-facing
main range with rear wings which form a narrow service courtyard to the north. The
main range is 3 rooms wide with an entrance at the left (west) end into a large hall
behind the principal rooms, the hall containing an open stair well ; rear right
kitchen wing with service stair, rear left wing now used as workshop. The house is
shown as "Bedfords" on Dunns map of 1765 suggesting a relatively substantial building
at that date but although parts of the fabric may be late C18 the architectural
detail is early and late C19. The 3-storey large brick bays to the front elevation
indicate a late C19 refronting. A sale advertisement of 1883 in the possession of
the present owners describes the house as a gentleman's residence on what was clearly
a small sporting estate.
Exterior 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3 bay front with deep eaves carried on
moulded timber brackets. Large 2-storey canted bays to left and right have separate
hipped roofs. Central gabled attic dormer with 2 pane sash; other fenestration of 4-
pane sashes. Nice detail to front elevation includes terracotta finials to the bays,
key blocks to the ground floor bay windows and timber sun canopies to the windows
with applied rosettes (some missing). Half-glazed front door on left (west) return
with rectangular fanlight with glazing bars and a glazed gabled porch with a pretty
tiled floor. The left and right returns of the main range have some 2-light small
pane casements of a circa late C18/early C19 date, 2 casements on the west return are
blocked with slate behind the glazing.
Interior Good early C19 stick baluster open well stair with a ramped handrail, the
bottom newel post an Edwardian replacement. Late C19/early C20 timber Tudor-style
chimneypiece to stair hall. Ground floor room left at the front has a plaster
cornice, deep skirting board and good chimney-piece (formerly upstairs) with tiling
by William de Morgan. Victorian chimneypieces survive elsewhere, some with good
metal grates. The stair extends to the attic accommodation which has heated rooms.
Roof Probably late C19 and likely to be co-eval with the addition of the bays ; the
roof over the kitchen wing is a conventional king post and strut C19 arrangement.
A handsome house in a prominent position on the road from Bickleigh Bridge to
Listing NGR: SS9310407934
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing