MOUNT SION METHODIST CHURCH AND HOUSE ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254018

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1973

Statutory Address: MOUNT SION METHODIST CHURCH AND HOUSE ATTACHED, PER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOUNT SION METHODIST CHURCH AND HOUSE ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:48:02.

Location

Statutory Address: MOUNT SION METHODIST CHURCH AND HOUSE ATTACHED, PER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE0679529694

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 02 NE 679/4/334 23.11.73 PER LANE (North side) Mount Sion Methodist Church And House Attached

II*

Chapel and attached house. 1773, chapel rebuilt 1815, interior refitted c1870. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs with coped gables with moulded kneelers. 2 stone stacks and metal ventilator. Chapel has main south front with 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing flanked by single round arched doorways with impost blocks and keystones, each with a plank door and partly boarded fanlight. Central vesica shaped plaque inscribed "This chapel was rebuilt in the year 1815". Above a reset sundial dated 1773 and inscribed "Mount Sion". Above 4 further round arched windows with margin light glazing. East elevation has 2 round arched windows with margin light glazing to each floor, above a central semi-circular window with keystone and similar glazing. North elevation has large semi-circular apse flanked by single flat-headed windows with similar margin light glazing to each floor. Apse has single small window to ground floor and above 2 round headed windows with margin light glazing and keystones. INTERIOR has fine quality Victorian fittings including galleries on 3 sides supported on cast iron columns. Elaborate central reading desk with right staircase with cast iron balustrade. Behind choir gallery and organ in semi-circular apse topped with the date 1773. Minister's house to west, 2 storey with render side and rear. Quoins. South front has projecting gabled porch to left and single 5-light ashlar mullion window and above single similar 5-light window. West gable elevation has single small fixed light and upper 2-light casement. North front has doorway to right with ashlar surround and 5-light mullion window to left. Above a 3-light and a 2-light mullion window.

Listing NGR: SE0679529694

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437335

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing