BARN TO SHIBDEN HALL MUSEUM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254037

Date first listed: 03-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Sep-1997

Statutory Address: BARN TO SHIBDEN HALL MUSEUM, LISTER'S ROAD

Statutory Address: BARN TO SHIBDEN HALL MUSEUM, SHIBDEN HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN TO SHIBDEN HALL MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254037 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:23:44.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN TO SHIBDEN HALL MUSEUM, LISTER'S ROAD

Statutory Address: BARN TO SHIBDEN HALL MUSEUM, SHIBDEN HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE 10656 25774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 12 NW 679/5/128 03-NOV-1954

SHIBDEN HALL ROAD (North, off) SHIBDEN PARK Barn to Shibden Hall Museum (Formerly Listed as: SHIBDEN PARK Service buildings to Shibden Hall)

GV II* Includes: Barn to Shibden Hall Museum: LISTER'S ROAD, SHIBDEN PARK.

Barn and outbuildings now museum. Aisled barn and attached farm buildings, now museum. Early C17, with C18 and C19 alterations, converted late C20. Coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressings and stone slate roofs. PLAN AND EXTERIOR: arranged around courtyard with barn to north. Quoins. Single storey. North front has gabled cross wing to left with central S-light chamfered mullion window with continuous hood mould. To right a smal12-1ight mullion window at lower level, and to left late C19 square tower with clock and deeply moulded eaves cornice toped with small cupola and weather vane. Apex of gable has 2-1ight pigeon opening with flight perch. To right set back double doors with in left return single 4-centred arched doorway. Beyond off-centre doorway in moulded surround with 2-1ight mullion window to left and double flight mounting block with central dog kennel, to two 2-light chamfered mullion windows with a single round headed window between. West gabled front has central double plank doors with above large S-1ight chamfered, transom and mullion window. T o left a single light window now blocked and to right 2-light mullion window. Projecting outbuilding to right has two 4-centred arched doorways with hood mould and triple flight pigeoncote above. Irregular west front has round headed and rusticated C17 garden archway attached. South front to courtyard has large double plank doors in raised midstray, flanked by irregular mullion windows and doors. At east corner a square tower with brewhouse and 2 single-light windows to upper floor. West and south ranges to courtyard single storey with irregular fenestration and inserted doors now converted to exhibition rooms. INTERIOR: 5 roof trusses with king and queen posts supported on timber posts with arched braces and staggered purlins.

Listing NGR: SE1065625774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437380

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing