This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1254066

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CAMPBELL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437429

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

5028 CAMPBELL ROAD Twickenham

TQ 147217/13 Church of All Saints

II

Anglican Church. Built 1913-14 to the designs of J.S.Alder. Red brick with Weldon stone dressing and red tiled roof Late Decorated style. Plan: nave of five bays with north and south aisles and clerestory; small western apse for the baptistry; the eastern bay of the south aisle is cross-gabled like a small transept; chancel with north chapel and south organ chamber of two storeys under a cross-gable and vestries. Western elevation: large traceried window above baptistry flanked by buttresses. Western bay of south aisle was intended to be the base of the tower which was never built. Single wide windows divided by buttresses to north and south aisles; single lights grouped in triplets divided by buttresses at clerestory level. INTERIOR: The pillars, shafts, arches and all other internal stonework in grey limestone. Wide moulded arches carried on pillars to nave arcades, quatrefoil in plan with fillets, moulded capitals and bases. The aisles and west wall of the nave have a high dado of exposed red brick above which the walls are plastered. Timber barrel vault to nave with moulded principals; chancel roof similar but with mouldings on the braces and purlins. Chancel arch spanned by rood beam with uncoloured figures, given in 1914, probably to the designs of the architect. The floor of the chancel is raised above the level of the nave behind a low stone wall and paved with square paviours of black and white marble. Furnishings and fittings: High altar of oak incorporating a carved oak panel depicting The Crucifixion and probably 17th century continental work. Pulpit c.1910 from the bombed church of St Gabriel, Poplar. Stone font c.1920. Stained glass: The large west window has five lights gropped 2-1-2 and cusped flowing tracery. Set into its three central lights is a large round-headed stained glass panel depicting The Good Shepherd by William Morris, 1890, from a design by Burne Jones. This window originally came from the Haweis Chapel of St James's, Westmoreland Street, Marylebone was reset here in 1914 (see 'The Stained Glass of Wiliam Morris and his Circle- A Catalogue', A.C.Sewter, Yale University Press, 1975). Elsewhere in the church, original opaque glass with sacred symbols within shield-shaped frames or patterns of stylised knots designed by Alder. HISTORY, All Saints, Twickenham was the last major church that Alder built. The foundation stone was laid by Princess Henry of Battenburg on 24 May 1913; the church was consecrated on 9 May 1914.



Listing NGR: TQ1470372926

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sewter, A , The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, (1975)

National Grid Reference: TQ 14703 72926

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254066 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 10:00:03.

End of official listing