GATES AND GATE LODGES TO COLLEGE HALL AT RAF CRANWELL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254080

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: GATES AND GATE LODGES TO COLLEGE HALL AT RAF CRANWELL, CRANWELL AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATES AND GATE LODGES TO COLLEGE HALL AT RAF CRANWELL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:24:00.

Location

Statutory Address: GATES AND GATE LODGES TO COLLEGE HALL AT RAF CRANWELL, CRANWELL AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Cranwell and Byard's Leap

National Grid Reference: TF 00004 49685

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRANWELL AND CRANWELL AVENUE TF 04 NW and BYARD'S LEAP (north side) SK 94 NE 6/18 and 7/18 Gates and Gate Lodges to College Hall at RAF Cranwell GV II Gates, gate lodges, gate piers and railings. 1933. Designed by Sir J M West. Red brick with Portland stone dressings, and iron gates and railings. Central pair of gates, segment headed, with the RAF insignia and ornate iron overthrow. Flanked by a pair of square brick piers, with ashlar bases and moulded tops, surmounted by hexagonal lamps. Either side are single iron gates, and then single gate lodges. Each lodge is single storey, with pilaster strips at the corners with ashlar bases and linked by an ashlar plinth, and moulded ashlar capitals linked by an ashlar moulded band, with above an ashlar moulded cornice. The south fronts have single glazing bar sashes with flat brick heads, the inner east and west fronts have single half glazed doors, and above circular panels dated 1933 and above again open ashlar pediments. Beyond again are curved sections of railings which terminate at square brick piers, with ashlar bases and moulded tops, surmounted by hexagonal lamps. The railings then continue approximately 100 metres to east and west, finally terminating in square brick piers, with ashlar bases and moulded tops, surmounted by hexagonal lamps. At the eastern end the railings continue for 5 metres to the north and are termi- nated by a similar, shorter brick pier. Close to the east and west piers are sets of false gates, which bear plaques inscribed "This and the western avenue of lime trees were presented by the Right Honourable, Sir Samuel Hoare. Secretary of State for Air. 1922-24 and 24-29".

Listing NGR: TF0000349687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437449

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing