SWATLANDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254232

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: SWATLANDS, LUCKS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWATLANDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 10:34:44.

Location

Statutory Address: SWATLANDS, LUCKS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Paddock Wood

National Grid Reference: TQ 67632 45816

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 64 NE PADDOCK WOOD LUCKS LANE

2/328 Swatlands

II

House. Circa mid C17, altered and extended in circa 1800. C17 core originally framed construction but apparently totally rebuilt on the front and return walls, which are rendered with chamfered rustication to the ground floor. Slate roof to the front block, peg-tile to the rear block; stacks with rendered shafts and flared chimneypots.

Plan and Development: South facing; double-depth plan, 3 rooms wide. The front block is a C17 3 room lobby entrance plan house, lower end to the right (east). In circa 1800 a separately-roofed rear service block was added on the same axis and the exterior of the house was refronted and gentrified. The lower end room was given a garden entrance on the right (east) return and eventually used as a farm office.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front with a parapet, the slate roof half-hipped at ends. Circa 1800 panelled front door to the lobby entrance to right of centre. C20 casement windows, mostly in original embrasures. Early/mid C19 verandah on cast iron columns with a corrugated plastic and glazed roof and the remains of a timber canopy. The right return has ball finials to the parapets of each block and 3 circa early C19 sash windows with floating cornices on brackets. C20 door into the lower end room below a floating cornice on brackets. The rear elevation preserves 2 circa 1800 small pane first floor sashes and 2 later C19 sashes on the first floor. Large C20 conservatory added at the rear.

Interior: Good survival of C17 carpentry. The 2 right hand ground floor rooms have chamfered stopped crossbeams and joists. The hall fireplace preserves a damaged oak lintel, the lower end room fireplace is blocked. The framing of the rear wall of the C17 block survives in part including a complete wallpost. First floor archway of circa 1800.

Roof: Clasped purlin construction with evidence of further curved queen struts to one crosswall.

Listing NGR: TQ6763245816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437665

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing