OBELISK AND RAILINGS NORTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254260

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: OBELISK AND RAILINGS NORTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of OBELISK AND RAILINGS NORTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 17:49:16.

Location

Statutory Address: OBELISK AND RAILINGS NORTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Cruwys Morchard

National Grid Reference: SS 87436 12187

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 81 SE CRUWYS MORCHARD CRUWYS MORCHARD 2/79 Obelisk and railings north east of - the Church of Holy Cross GV II Commemorative obelisk and surrounding railings. Early C19. Portland stone ashlar, iron railings. Stone obelisk on a tall pedestal with recessed inscription panels on the pedestal. The panel on the south side commemorates Henry Cruwys, Rector"...(and last Male Issue of the ancient family of the Cruwys's who possessed valuable Estates in the said Parish for several Hundred Years successively) Lieth buried in a small House which he borrowed of his Brethren the Worms in Hopes of the Resurrection and Life Eternal". Henry Cruwys died in 1804. The inscription on the west side commemorates a child, died 1800. The obelisk is surrounded by iron railings with flame finials with columnar corner rails with urn finials. The obelisk is enclosed by especially planted yews in the corner of the churchyard closest to Cruwys House (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SS8743612188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437704

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing