THE TENTERING TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254273

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1991

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Mar-1992

Statutory Address: THE TENTERING TOWER, STUBBINS VALE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TENTERING TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:43:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TENTERING TOWER, STUBBINS VALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 78893 18309

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 71 NE THE TENTERING TOWER Stubbins Vale Road (Also known as The Wet 255-0/9/10001 Tower)

Formerly listes as THE WET TOWER)

II

Cloth store associated with former tenterfields; now derelict. 1866, for Porritt's Stubbins Vale Mill; raised c.1880. Coursed rock-faced sandstone, except the west wall which is of coursed rubble; no roof. Square plan. Designed as an eye-catcher. Formerly single-storey, now 2 storeys, 3 windows, symmetrical; with simple oversailing battlements to the north, east and south sides. The architectural front to the east has 3 unglazed vertical-rectangular windows on each floor; both sides have one similar window on each floor; and the entrance front to the west has a large round-headed doorway in the centre of the ground floor and a loading doorway above this approached by stone steps flush with the wall to the right (but now mostly fallen), both flanked by windows like those at the front but that to the right at ground floor now blocked. Interior now a void. History: used to store cloths before and after they were stretched on tenters; shown in a photograph of c.1870 as a single-storey building, with cloths on long tenter-frames in the field to the rear of it.

Listing NGR: SD7889318309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 185847

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing