HARRODS DEPOSITORY RIVERSIDE WAREHOUSE TO EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254280

Date first listed: 10-May-1990

Statutory Address: HARRODS DEPOSITORY RIVERSIDE WAREHOUSE TO EAST, ARUNDEL TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARRODS DEPOSITORY RIVERSIDE WAREHOUSE TO EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254280 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:22:45.

Location

Statutory Address: HARRODS DEPOSITORY RIVERSIDE WAREHOUSE TO EAST, ARUNDEL TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 23113 77669

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following should be added:

TQ 27 NW ARUNDEL TERRACE

2/4 Harrods Depository Riverside Warehouse to east

- II

Depository. 1911 - c.1914 by W G Hunt for Harrods Stores. Kahn system reinforced concrete with terracotta east facade (facing river) and flat roof. Wedge-shaped plan. Elaborate Baroque-style facade has keyed architraves to tripartite windows, flight of 15 steps flanked by bronze uplighters to round-arched projecting porch and pedimented end bays surmounted by cupolas. Eight-bay projection to south with additional projecting end bay, part of original composition, completed in slightly simpler form c.1914; similar wing to north never built. Rear elevation has access galleries on reinforced concrete cantilvers to either side of projecting lift shaft. Interior: fine Baroque-style entrance hall clad in Carrara marble, with swags to pilasters and coffered ceiling supported on brackets; offices to right with mahogany doors and half-glazed partitions. Symmetrical composition of warehouse spaces have octagonal columns and closely-spaced beams, arched at column tops. Recommended as a remarkably pure and unaltered early example of the Kahn system of reinforced concrete, invented by Julius Kahn in 1903 and widely used in the car factories of Detroit by his brother Albert. The use of cantilevers make this a particularly important example, whilst the terracotta facade is impressive in its own right. (The builder, 13 June 1913, pp 683-5)

Listing NGR: TQ2311377669

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437721

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 13 June, (1913), 683-5

End of official listing