RUMSEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254333
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
RUMSEY HOUSE, LONDON ROAD A4

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUMSEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254333.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 23:56:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUMSEY HOUSE, LONDON ROAD A4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Calne Without
National Grid Reference:
ST 97563 70944

Details

ST 97 SE CALNE WITHOUT LONDON ROAD (A4), Black Dog Hil (south side)

2/79 Rumsey House



II

House, c1800-20, ashlar with low-pitched hipped slate roofs and ashlar stacks. Main front to north is symmetrical composition of centre and slightly lower wings all with matching cornice and parapet, 1-5-1 windows overall. Three-storey centre has 12-pane upper windows, 16-pane elsewhere, and central heavily-detailed square porch with angle pilasters and cornice. Two-storey wings have 16-pane sashes, to first floor only on left, to both floors on right. Iron spearhead railings between porch and wings. Entry to service yard attached to right wing has 2 ashlar piers with iron gate and length of iron railing running north. South front is similar in style but different cornice moulding, possibly a slightly later range added parallel to original south front. Two storeys, 4-window range, 16-pane sashes above, French windows and door below, all with shutters. Across ground floor is wrought iron verandah with tent roof, 10 bays irregularly spaced. Property is recorded as held by the Browne family from the C17 and was rebuilt after 1800 for B.J. Browne Angell. (A.E.W. Marsh, A History of the Borough and Town of Calne, 1903, 189-91.)

Listing NGR: ST9756370944

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
437585
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marsh, A E W, A History of the Borough and Town of Calne, (1903), 189-191

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16964/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burgoyne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].