This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY INCLUDING STABLE BLOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY INCLUDING STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1254366

Location

THE OLD RECTORY INCLUDING STABLE BLOCK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cruwys Morchard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437854

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS81 SE CRUWYS MORCHARD CRUWYS MORCHARD 2/84 The Old Rectory including the - stable block II Former rectory, disused at time of survey (1986). 1862, built for the Reverend G.S. Cruwys at a cost of £3,000 (White's Devonshire (1878-9). Snecked local stone with some freestone dressings; 2-span slate roof, gabled at ends with 2 gables to the front; stone stacks with grouped ashlar shafts. Some cob visible in stable block. Tudor style with some ambitious detail although rather old-fashioned for 1862. South-facing double depth main range, 2 rooms wide with a central entrance into a corridor containing the stair. The 4 rooms are heated from axial stacks with back to back fireplaces. A narrow service courtyard to the west is formed by U plan service rooms adjoining the rear left (north west) of the main range and extended to the front by a stable block and groom's room. Access to the service courtyard is through an archway between the stables and service rooms. There is a second, smaller enclosed courtyard at the rear of the main range, formed by a gabled block to the north and a miniature baronial battlemented wall to the north-east. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-bay front, gabled to the front at left and right. Shallow central battlemented porch with central gable and a moulded stone Tudor arched doorway between buttresses with set-offs. Panelled front door with Tudor arched fanlight with intersecting glazing bars. To the left the front elevation is slightly broken forward with a 2-storey battlemented canted bay with transomed mullioned timber windows to the first and ground floors with a frieze of blind stone tracery between them; 2-light casement to attic storey in gable. To the right of the front door 3-light transomed mullioned timber windows ; similar 2-light window above porch with the remains of some stained glass quarries. The east elevation (visible from the drive) is equally important with a shallow 2- storey battlemented bay lighting the ground and first floor rooms at the front with 4-light transomed mullioned windows with king mullions and a frieze of blind tracery between; 2-light window to attic storey in gable with square leaded panes. The rear rooms of the east elevation have 2-light transomed mullioned windows. Adjoining the east elevation to the rear is a section of battlemented walling with a 2-centred moulded stone doorway leading to the rear courtyard with a rounded embattled machiolated corner turret with an ornamental arrow slit. Interior Very complete with stone Tudor style chimneypieces and co-eval joinery including a stair with turned balusters and foliage - carved finials. Ground floor front right has a coved plaster cornice with big buds and flowers in deep relief ; plainer plaster cornice to ground floor front left. The Tudor details extend to the stable block which has Tudor arches with pierced quatrefoils over the loose boxes. An unusually grand and complete example of relatively small Tudor style rectory.

Listing NGR: SS8705812334

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 87058 12334

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 07:47:07.

End of official listing