THE WARDROBE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254383

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: THE WARDROBE, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WARDROBE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 09:45:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WARDROBE, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14134 29668

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 SU 1429 NW 3/13 28.2.52. No 58 (The Wardrobe) 1I* GV 2 Original house on site of 1254. Present building mainly C15, heightened C17 lath enlargement in 1705 and Cl9 alterations. Elaborate symmetrical east front of 2 storeys and attic. Flint brick and stone rubble, with stone quoins. Steep pitch old tile roof in 2 tiers. Tall central block with double gabled side wings. Central block has a large central 6 light stone mullioned and double transomed leaded casement window, originally to upper part of hall now divided into several rooms. A triple Tudor arched early C19 red brick arcade between wings below and behind a large blocked C13 door surround, flat headed. Each wing has 2 2-light casements to attic level a 3 light end 2 light stone mullioned and transomed first floor casement and formerly similar windows, now altered on ground floor. To rear of centre part house, originally the hall, buttress and chimney breast to north side serving former kitchens and offices. Interior has good mid C18 staircase, open string. Scrolled decorated brackets to tread ends, turned balusters, turned fluted newels, moulded swept hand rail. The well has pilastered dado, the south wall has paper mache Rococo reliefs and trophies continued on hall ceiling. 3 rooms with Rococo stucco work, pilaster framed chimney piece with carved overmantel in dining room ceiling with eagle decorating centre panel. Drawing room has finely carved C18 doorcases, ogee and scroll mouldings to frieze, carved overdoors. Rococo fireplace and stucco work to ceiling. Cl7 doorways and dado panelling on first floor. Some reset linen fold panelling, C17 attic stair. Roof of north wing contains C15 members. 6 bays. 5 trusses. 4 with cambered arched braced and chamfered collars. Only bases of arch braces remain.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1413529674

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 319043

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing