PASTHEAP FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254391

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: PASTHEAP FARMHOUSE, HASTINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PASTHEAP FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:52:48.

Location

Statutory Address: PASTHEAP FARMHOUSE, HASTINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Pembury

National Grid Reference: TQ 63658 40218

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 64 SW PEMBURY HASTINGS ROAD

5/366 Pastheap Farmhouse

GV II

Former farmhouse. Late C16/early C17, minor alterations of circa 1700, some C19 and C20 modernisations including a major modernisation of circa 1980 at which time a C19 cartshed was brought into domestic use. Timber-framed. Ground floor level underbuilt predominantly with Flemish bond red brick with burnt headers; framing above is clad with peg-tile. Brick stack on sandstone base and staggered chimneyshaft includes some early, if not original, brick. Peg-tile roof.

Plan: Tall house originally facing north towards the road. 2-room lobby entrance plan. Axial stack between the rooms serves back-to-back fireplaces. Unusually large hall/kitchen to left (east) and small parlour to right. Front doorway (now blocked) into a stair turret projecting in front of the stack. Bakehouse in lean-to to rear of parlour end with rear stack.

The parlour end was evidently somewhat altered circa 1700 and it may be that the fireplace here dates from that time and that this room was formerly an unheated service room. Front stair turret may also date from this time. The C17 plan of one heated room with a service room is here on a much larger scale than usual. Bakehouse is secondary. It could be as early as circa 1700 but is probably C19. Circa 1980 the front doorway was blocked and new entrance porch built on the right (parlour) end. This new porch also provided a link to the C19 former cartshed (nearly parallel to the main block but set back behind and west of the bakehouse). It is now part of the house, one large room.

House is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace and cellar under the hall/kitchen.

Exterior: Irregular fenestration with 3 ground floor windows and 2 first floor windows, all C20 casements with leaded diamond pane effect. Similar windows around the rest of the house. Original front doorway into the front stair turret is blocked. Tall main roof is gable-ended to left and half- hipped to right. To rear roof carried down as a catslide over the bakehouse. The former cartshed is brick built with 2 large Frnech windows in the south side (presumably the former cartshed doorways). Its roof is half-hipped both end.

Interior: The hall/kitchen has a large original firpelace; sandstone ashlar with a chamfered and scroll-stopped oak lintel. It-is a large room with an intersecting beam 4-panel ceiling of axial beams tied into a main crossbeam. All are chamfered with scroll stops. Plain joists. Smaller firpelace on first floor and similar axial beams with an original framed crosswall between the 2 chambers over the hall/kitchen. The parlour appears to be the result of a circa 1700 refurbishment although the fireplace is also sandstone. 2 axial beams are chamfered with runout stops. Circa 1700 cupboard at the back of the fireplace, its fielded panel door hung on H-hinges. Original roof over hall/kitchen section. 3 bays of clasped side purlin construction but replaced over parlour end with butt purlin roof. Bakehouse has plain carpentry detail. Brick fireplace with bread oven and high plain oak lintel. The former cartshed room is open to the roof of arch-braced tie beams and clasped side purlin construction.

Listing NGR: TQ6365840218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437884

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing