SLOWERY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254396

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: SLOWERY FARMHOUSE, KINGS TOLL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SLOWERY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254396 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 07:06:13.

Location

Statutory Address: SLOWERY FARMHOUSE, KINGS TOLL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Pembury

National Grid Reference: TQ 64146 40785

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 64 SW PEMBURY KINGS TOLL ROAD

5/378 Slowery Farmhouse

II

Former farmhouse. Early/mid C17 with extensive C19 and C20 extensions, notably in 1924 by R. Brown. Older part was timber-framed on coursed sandstone footings but ground floor level underbuilt with Flemish bond red brick (leaving most of the footings). Framing above hung with peg-tile. Extensions built in same style. Brick stacks (the original one on a sandstone base) and brick chimneyshafts. Peg-tile roof.

Plan: 4-room lobby entrance plan house facing south east. Small left (south west) end room has now been united with the adjoining room. An axial stack between this and the next room serves back-to-back fireplaces. A parlour at the right end is also served by an axial stack. Services in a rear block right of centre. The present layout is largely the result of the 1924 refurbishment. Previously the house was somewhat smaller. It occupied the left hand 3-room section of the main block with lobby entrance plan. Service room and kitchen to left of the stack and parlour to right. In the roof it looks possible that the house ended at the left end of the kitchen but the end jetty beyond makes this interpretation unlikely.

2 storeys with attics in the roofspace.

Exterior: Regular but not symmetrical 3-window front of 1924 windows. Ground floor windows have brick mullions and the first floor windows are timber mullion-and-transom gabled half dormers. The wide transom in the older section is the wall plate of the old frame. Front lobby entrance doorway left of centre contains a plank door with coverstrips under a flat hood. Main roof is half-hipped both ends.

Interior: The former kitchen cross beam is chamfered with runout stops. The kitchen fireplace has been relined with brick but its cambered and chamfered oak lintel is probably the original. The parlour is too small for a beam and has a series of plain axial joists. Good fireplace here; sandstone ashlar with chamfered Tudor arch to the oak lintel. 2 similar but smaller fireplaces on the first floor. The parlour bay appears to have been somewhat wider than the rest, projecting to rear, probably to accommodate a stair. Roof of tie- beam trusses with clasped side purlins. The left end bay is probably a C19 replacement. Unusual arrangement in original front right corner as the formed jowl of the wall post is shaped to take the wallplate at a lower level than the gable-end tie.

Source Mary Standen. Pembury in the Past (1984), p.17. A series of 4 photographs show the front and back of Slowery Farmhouse before and after the building works of 1924.

Listing NGR: TQ6414640785

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 437895

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Standen, M, Pembury in the Past, (1984), 17

End of official listing